Making phone calls from an unknown number can be useful in certain situations, whether you need to protect your privacy, manage business relationships, or simply make a prank call to your friends. However, not many people know how to call from an unknown number on iPhone, which can be frustrating if you don’t want your identity to be revealed. Fortunately, there are multiple methods you can use to achieve this, and in this article, we’ll show you how to hide your number when calling others from your iPhone.
Why You Need to Call from an Unknown Number on iPhone
There are plenty of reasons why you might want to mask your caller ID when calling someone from your iPhone. One of the most common is to maintain your privacy, especially when you’re making personal calls to someone you don’t know very well. This is also a popular option for business professionals who deal with sensitive information and want to avoid unwanted contacts.
Another reason why you might want to call from an unknown number is simply because you don’t want the other party to know who you are. Maybe you’re planning a surprise for someone, or perhaps you’re just not in the mood to have a conversation with someone you know.
Whatever your reasons, the good news is that hiding your number when calling someone from your iPhone is a quick and easy process. Below, we’ll show you how to do it using multiple methods.
Method 1: Use a Code to Hide Your Caller ID
The simplest and most straightforward way to call from an unknown number on iPhone is to use a code that hides your caller ID. Here’s how to do it:
1. Start by going to your iPhone’s Phone app.
2. Once you’re in the app, enter the code *67 before dialing the number you want to call. For instance, if you want to call 555-1234, you should dial *675551234.
3. The recipient’s phone will see "Unknown" or "Blocked" instead of your phone number.
– This method works with any iPhone and doesn’t require any special software or tools.
– You don’t have to manually turn off caller ID every time you want to make an anonymous call.
– This method only works for outgoing calls; it won’t hide your number when someone calls you.
– It doesn’t work with toll-free and emergency numbers.
Method 2: Turn Off Caller ID in Settings
Another way to hide your number when calling from iPhone is to turn off caller ID in your settings. This method requires a few additional steps, but it’s still relatively easy to implement. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Go to your iPhone’s Settings app.
2. Scroll down until you see the "Phone" option and tap on it.
3. At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see the "Show My Caller ID" option – tap on it.
4. You’ll be presented with a slider that allows you to turn off caller ID. Move the slider to the left to disable caller ID.
5. Once you’ve turned off caller ID, you can make an anonymous call by entering the number as usual.
– This method is quick to set up and allows you to turn off caller ID for all your calls at once.
– You don’t need to type in a code each time you want to hide your number.
– Turning off caller ID will apply to all calls you make from your iPhone, so you won’t be able to selectively choose which calls to hide your number for.
– This method also doesn’t work with toll-free and emergency numbers.
Method 3: Use a Third-Party App
If you’re looking for a more advanced way to hide your caller ID on iPhone, you can use a third-party app. These apps are specifically designed to allow you to make anonymous calls, and they often come with a range of additional features. Here’s how to use one of these apps:
1. Download a third-party caller ID masking app from the App Store. There are many different options available, such as CoverMe, Numero eSIM, and Hushed.
2. Follow the app’s instructions to create an account and set up your caller ID settings.
3. Once you’ve set up your account, you can use the app’s dialer to make calls anonymously. The app will mask your caller ID and show an alternative number instead.
– Third-party apps often come with a range of additional features, such as the ability to use multiple phone numbers, send messages, and set voicemail greetings.
– You can choose which calls to make anonymous and which to show your number for.
– These apps often come with a monthly subscription fee.
– You need to trust the app provider to protect your privacy and not misuse your data.
What to Do If You Can’t Call from an Unknown Number on iPhone
In some cases, you might find that you can’t call from an unknown number on iPhone using any of the methods above. Here are a few potential fixes you can try:
– Check your carrier’s settings: Some carriers don’t allow you to hide your caller ID. Check with your carrier to see if you’re allowed to use this feature.
– Restart your iPhone: Sometimes, simply restarting your iPhone can fix issues with caller ID and other settings.
– Use a payphone or another device: If you absolutely need to make an anonymous call and your iPhone won’t cooperate, consider using a payphone or borrowing someone else’s phone.
If you want to make sure that your phone number isn’t visible on all your outgoing messages as well, you need to go to Settings > Messages and turn off "Send as SMS" and "MMS Messaging." When you send a message from your iPhone, it will use iMessage, which doesn’t reveal your phone number.
Q1: Can I turn off caller ID for only one call?
A: Yes, you can turn off caller ID for only one call by dialing the code *67 before the number you want to call.
Q2: Will the other person know that I’m hiding my caller ID?
A: No, the other person won’t receive any notification that you’re hiding your caller ID.
Q3: Will I still be able to receive calls if I turn off caller ID?
A: Yes, you’ll still be able to receive calls as usual.
Q4: Do I need to contact my carrier to enable caller ID blocking?
A: No, you don’t need to contact your carrier to enable caller ID blocking. All the methods described above work independently of your carrier’s settings.
Q5: Can I still call toll-free and emergency numbers when hiding my caller ID?
A: No, you won’t be able to call toll-free and emergency numbers when hiding your caller ID. This is to ensure that these important numbers can always be traced back to the caller.
Being able to hide your caller ID when making phone calls from your iPhone can be a useful way to protect your privacy and maintain your anonymity. Whether you choose to use a code, turn off caller ID in settings, or use a third-party app, there are multiple ways to achieve this, and each method has its own pros and cons. By trying out the different methods, you can find the one that works best for your needs and preferences.