Google Maps has proved to be one of the best smartphone applications of recent times, providing accurate directions and real-time traffic information. It is a great guide for exploring new places, cities, and countries. However, there may be times when you need to change the accent voice on your Google Maps app; perhaps you prefer a male voice to a female voice or a British accent to an American accent. In this blog, we will explore different methods for changing the Google Maps voice accent on the iPhone.
Why You Need to Change Google Maps Voice Accent iPhone
By default, Google Maps provides a female voice with an American accent, which may not be suitable for everyone. Changing the Google Maps voice accent can help you customize your driving experience and ensure that you are getting directions that you can understand more clearly. It can also make the app more user friendly and enjoyable to use. Here are some reasons why you need to change Google Maps voice accent on the iPhone:
1. Accents can be difficult to understand: If you are not used to a particular accent, it can be challenging to understand the directions provided by the app.
2. Personalization: Changing the accent of the voice on your Google Maps app can add a personal touch to your driving experience.
3. Language barriers: If English is not your first language, a different accent could help you understand the directions better.
Method 1: Change the Voice Accent in the Google Maps App
You can change the voice accent on your Google Maps app within the app itself. This is a straightforward method that requires only a few steps:
1. Open the Google Maps app on your iPhone.
2. Tap the menu button (represented by three lines) in the top left corner of your screen.
3. Scroll down and select "Settings."
4. Tap on "Navigation" in the Settings menu.
5. Select "Voice."
6. In the "Voice" menu, look for the "English (United States)" option, which represents the default female voice.
7. Tap the option to open the list of available accents.
8. Select your preferred accent and gender (male or female).
9. Test the new accent by clicking the "Play" button.
Pros: This method is simple and easy to accomplish.
Cons: There may not be as many accents available as you might like.
Method 2: Change the System Language on Your iPhone
Another way to change the accent on your Google Maps is to change the system language on your iPhone. By changing the system language, you can change the accent used in the app.
1. Open the "Settings" app on your iPhone.
2. Scroll down and click on "General."
3. Tap "Language and Region" or "Language & Region."
4. Tap "iPhone Language" or "Device Language."
5. In the language menu, select an English dialect with your preferred accent. For example, if you prefer a British accent, select "English – United Kingdom."
6. Tap "Done" to confirm the changes.
7. Open Google Maps and check the new accent.
Pros: This method changes the accent of the entire system, not just Google Maps.
Cons: Changing the system language can cause other apps to appear in a different language.
Method 3: Change the Siri Language
Siri is the technical blogger of the iPhone. Changing Siri’s language can also adjust the accent on Google Maps.
1. Open the "Settings" App on your iPhone.
2. Click on "Siri & Search."
3. Tap on "Language" to see the language options.
4. Select the language that corresponds to the accent you want to hear on your Google Maps app.
5. Open Google Maps and check the new accent.
Pros: This method does not require downloading any additional apps or changing the system language.
Cons: Siri should be turned on and enabled.
Method 4: Download a New Navigation App with Different Accents
If you are not happy with the default Google Maps navigation voice, you can download a new navigation app with a wider range of accents and voices to choose from.
1. Check the app store on your iPhone for a suitable third-party navigation app.
2. Install the app of your choice.
3. Open the new app and set it up with your preferred voice accent.
4. Select your destination start your trip.
Pros: Third-party navigation apps are available for download, which can offer more voice options.
Cons: The app may not be free with the added bonus features.
What to Do If You Can’t Change the Google Maps Voice Accent iPhone
If you are unable to change the voice accent on Google Maps, there may be some simple fixes that can help you resolve the situation. Here are a few things you can try:
1. Restart the Google Maps app or restart your iPhone.
2. Delete the Google Maps app and reinstall it from the App Store.
3. Update your iPhone’s operating system and reinstall the app.
4. If you are still having trouble, check your cellular data or Wi-Fi connection as the app might not be working correctly.
Here are some bonus tips on customizing your Google Maps app:
1. Change the color of your map according to your preferences for easier viewing on the road.
2. Lock the orientation of the map in "Settings" to help keep the map level and avoid distractions.
3. Download offline maps for your trips to avoid using cellular data.
Q1: Is it possible to change the accent to an Australian accent?
A: Yes. You can change your iPhone’s language settings to one of the available English (Australia) options.
Q2: Can I download a Google Maps voice from outside the app?
A: No. The voices available for Google Maps cannot be downloaded from any external source.
Q3: Can I change the accent of my Google Maps voice to a regional accent?
A: No. The accent options for the Google Maps voice are limited to country-specific options.
Q4: Can I change the voice of Google Maps to a celebrity voice?
A: No. The voice options in Google Maps are computer-generated and do not feature any celebrity voices.
Q5: Can I change the language accent in Google Maps to Mandarin Chinese?
A: Yes. You can change your system language to Mandarin Chinese, and this will reflect in the Google Maps app.
In this blog post, we explored four methods for changing the voice accent on your Google Maps app on the iPhone. You can change the accent in the Google Maps app itself, change the system language on your iPhone, change the Siri language, or download a third-party navigation app. If you experience any issues changing the accent, try restarting the app, or your iPhone, etc. Customizing your navigation voice can help you have a much more enjoyable, stress-free driving experience.