As iPhone users, one common issue that we frequently encounter is running out of storage space. With limited space available, we cannot update our apps, download new music or take more photos. Several apps require space to continuously function, and when applications like WhatsApp or Instagram stop functioning properly, it can get frustrating. It is a problem most of us face but it has a solution too. In this blog, we are going to talk about how to clear up space on your iPhone.
Why You Need to Clear Up Space on Your iPhone
Many apps store information on your phone which can take up a lot of space. When your phone is low on storage, it can become slow and sluggish. Additionally, you may not be able to update your apps or operating system without enough available storage.
Clearing up space on your iPhone will help your phone run faster and more smoothly, while also making room for new apps, music, and photos.
Method 1: Clear Up iPhone Space by Deleting Unused Apps
If you don’t use some applications on your iPhone for a long time, they are taking up unnecessary space. You can check the usage of apps on your device and identify which ones you do not use regularly. Deleting these apps will free up a significant amount of space.
1. Start by finding the app icons that you no longer use on your home screen.
2. Hold down on the icon until the app starts to shake.
3. Now tap the small "x" icon on the app’s icon.
4. Confirm that you want to delete the app.
5. The app will be deleted from your phone, freeing up the space it was using.
-Deleting unused apps will free up a significant amount of space on your iPhone.
-It is a relatively simple process that doesn’t require much technical knowledge.
-You may lose all app data if you delete an app which is still being used.
Method 2: Clear Up iPhone Space by Offloading Unused Apps
Deleting apps that are not used is easy, but you may still need some of the app data in the future. In this case, offloading the unused apps could be a good option. By offloading, you can free up the space but keep the app data so that you can access it later when you need it.
1. Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage. Scroll down and find the app that you want to offload.
2. Tap the app to open it and select the "Offload App" option.
3. Confirm that you want to offload the app.
4. The app will be offloaded from your device.
-Offloading unused apps can free up significant space on your iPhone, while still keeping the app data.
-It saves the effort of re-downloading the app and the related data if you want the app back in the future.
-If you offload an app, you cannot use the app until it is re-downloaded and reinstalled.
Method 3: Clear Up iPhone Space by Managing Photos & Videos
Photos and videos can take a lot of space on your iPhone. It is essential to manage them to keep a track of the space consumed. Deleting unnecessary photos and videos can free up a lot of storage. However, it can be challenging to decide which photos to delete.
1. Go to the Photos app and open the "Albums" tab.
2. Identify the photos and videos that you can delete.
3. Tap "Select" and choose the pictures or videos that you want to delete.
4. Tap the trash can icon and confirm to delete them.
-Managing photos and videos can free up a lot of space on your iPhone.
-It is a simple and easy process which doesn’t require any technical knowledge.
-It can be challenging to choose which photos or videos to delete.
Method 4: Clear Up iPhone Space by Clearing Cache
Cache data is temporary data stored by apps for a quick and easy implementation of specific features. However, cache data can sometimes pile up unnecessarily and consume a considerable amount of space.
1. Clear Safari cache: Go to Settings > Safari > Clear History and Website Data.
2. Clear App cache: Go to Settings > General > iPhone Storage > tap an app > tap "Delete App" and then re-install the app.
-Clearing cache will free up space from your iPhone, making it run faster.
-It is a one-step process and doesn’t require much technical knowledge.
– Clearing app cache will delete all the app data stored in cache, and the app will start from the beginning again.
What to Do If You Can’t Clear Space from Your iPhone?
If after trying all of the above methods, you still cannot clear up space on your iPhone, try these tips:
1. Back up your iPhone to a computer or cloud storage and then reset your iPhone to its original settings.
2. Try using iCloud Drive to free up space on your iPhone.
3. Make sure you are not using too much data. Clear up storage by deleting data-intensive apps.
1. Try using iCloud Photo Library for storing photos and videos, which will reduce the amount of storage.
2. Use iTunes to clean up podcast storage before deleting the old podcasts.
3. Limit the use of phone storage space for less important apps.
Q1: What is taking up storage on my iPhone?
A: Typically, photos, videos, apps and their data are the primary storage hogs.
Q2: Can I recover data from an app that I have deleted?
A: Unfortunately, without a backup, you cannot retrieve data that was stored within a deleted app.
Q3: Can I back up my iPhone using iCloud?
A: Yes, you can back up your iPhone using iCloud by going to Settings > iCloud > Backup.
Q4: What’s the difference between deleting and offloading an app?
A: When you delete an app, you remove the app and its data. When you offload an app, you remove the app but keep its data.
Q5: Can clearing cache be harmful?
A: While clearing cache can help free up storage space, it can also cause apps to refresh and start afresh from the beginning.
Running out of space on your iPhone can be a irritating experience, but clearing space can be a simple and effective solution. Start with deleting unused apps, then manage the photos and videos and clear caches from the Safari and other apps. If you’re still running short on storage, you can try offloading apps or resetting your iPhone. By following these steps, you will be able to free up space on your device and enjoy a faster and smoother iPhone experience.