With the constant updates in technology, it has become incredibly easy to access weather forecasts. While weather widgets provide easy access to information, it can be a hassle to go through them every time you want to check the weather. This is why many iPhone users choose to display the weather on their lock screens so they can get a quick glimpse every time they check their phones. In this article, we will discuss the different methods iPhone users can use to display weather on their lock screens.
The Challenge of Displaying Weather on iPhone Lock Screen
While displaying weather on an iPhone lock screen can be convenient, it can be challenging to set up. Apple has made it difficult for third-party applications to display weather information on the lock screen, so users must take other routes to achieve this. Fortunately, there are several methods of displaying weather on the lock screen that iPhone users can use.
Things You Should Prepare for
Before we get into the different methods, there are a few things you should prepare for:
- Make sure your iPhone is updated to the latest firmware.
- You’ll need a weather app that supports widgets.
- Some methods will require you to use Shortcuts or third-party apps. Both of these require that you allow permission to run while your phone is locked.
Method 1: Using the Apple Weather App
The easiest method of displaying weather information on an iPhone lock screen is by using the Apple Weather app. Here’s how:
- Open the Weather app on your iPhone.
- Click on the "+" sign on the upper right corner of the screen to add a new location.
- Locate the location you’d like to add to your weather list.
- Click on the location
- Click "Add."
- Press the Home button to return to your home screen.
- Swipe right on your home screen to access "Today View."
- Tap "Edit" at the bottom.
- Find Weather in the list of widgets.
- Click the green ‘+’ to add to "Today View."
- Press the Home button to return to your home screen to see your changes.
- The Apple Weather app is pre-installed on your iPhone, making it easily accessible
- It requires no additional setup after the initial setup, so it’s easy to use.
- The display of weather information is limited to Today View, so it’s not always visible on your lock screen.
- You can only view weather information for one location at a time.
Method 2: Using the Shortcuts App
Another method of displaying weather information on your lock screen is by using the Shortcuts app. Here’s how:
- Open the Shortcuts app on your iPhone.
- Click the "+" sign in the top right corner of the screen to create a new shortcut.
- Click "Add Action."
- Search for "Text" and select the "Text" option from the list of results.
- Type in the location whose weather information you’d like to display (e.g., "Los Angeles, CA"), then tap "Next."
- Click "Add Action."
- Search for "Get Current Weather" and select the "Get Current Weather" option from the list of results.
- Select Fahrenheit or Celsius to set your preferred temperature format, then click "Done."
- Type in a name for the shortcut and click "Done."
- Press the "…" button on the top right corner of the screen in Shortcuts.
- Click "Add to Home Screen."
- Type a name for your shortcut and click "Add."
- The Shortcuts app allows you to see weather information on your lock screen without having to unlock your phone.
- You can add multiple shortcuts for different locations.
- The weather information update may be delayed in comparison to other apps.
- You won’t see any weather animations or graphics, just text.
Method 3: Using a Third-Party App
Alternatively, you can use a third-party app to display weather information on your lock screen. Here’s how:
- Download a weather app that supports lock screen widgets (such as Accuweather or The Weather Channel).
- Follow the weather app’s instructions to add a widget to your lock screen.
- Third-party apps often provide more accurate and up-to-date weather information than default apps.
- You’ll get to see more detailed information without needing to open an app.
- Might display ads which may be a bit annoying each time you check your lock screen.
- Some third-party apps charge fees for premium features.
Why Can’t I Display the Weather Information on My iPhone Lock Screen?
There are many reasons why you might not be able to display the weather information on your iPhone lock screen. Here are some potential issues and their fixes:
1. ‘Today View’ Isn’t Enabled:
A common reason why the weather information isn’t displaying on the lock screen is that Today View might not be enabled on your iPhone. To enable it, go to Settings > Face ID & Passcode (Touch ID & Passcode on older devices) and enable the "Today View" option. By doing so, you should be able to view your ‘Today View’ by pulling down the notification tray.
2. The Widget isn’t On the ‘Today View’:
If you’ve already set up your weather widget and you’re still unable to see it on your lock screen, try to add it to ‘Today View.’ Simultaneously, ensure that you have added it to the specific position where you want it.
3. Weak or No Data Connection:
It might be difficult for your device to display the weather information on your lock screen if you do not have a data connection. Ensure that your data connection is strong and active, then try again.
- Customize the widget position and size to suit your needs by tapping and holding the icon until it jiggles, then drag the weather widget to your desired location. Swipe left or right to resize.
- Test the widget and various apps before selecting it so that you can get the one that suits your needs best.
- While some of the methods are straightforward, others require installation and customization. It’s best to follow detailed instructions before the installation to avoid frustration in case of wrong turns.
5 FAQs About Displaying Weather on iPhone Lock Screen
Q1: Why Can’t I See Weather Information on the Lock Screen?
A: There are many reasons why the weather information might not be visible on your lock screen. Try toggling the settings of the weather app and checking your phone’s data connection.
Q2: Can I Display Multiple Locations on My Lock Screen?
A: Yes, but it requires using Shortcuts or third-party apps. This makes it possible to see the weather information for various places with just one glance.
Q3: Can I Change the Display Format of the Weather Information?
A: Yes. You can use the Shortcuts app to customize the display of the weather information to Fahrenheit or Celsius.
Q4: Can I Remove Weather Information from the Lock Screen?
A: Yes. You can go to the widget panel and tap the “Edit” button. This will allow you to remove the weather widget and other widgets from your lock screen.
Q5: How Often is the Weather Information Updated?
A: The frequency of updates varies by app. Some applications will update the weather information automatically every few minutes, while others may take a while longer. Additionally, some applications also allow you to adjust the update intervals.
While Apple has made it challenging for third-party apps to display weather information on the iPhone lock screen, there are still simple methods you can use to achieve this. The Apple Weather app is an easy and free solution, but it has its limitations. The Shortcuts app is a great option if you’re willing to spend time setting it up. Lastly, third-party weather apps offer the latest and most comprehensive weather information, but they may come at a cost or with ads. Ultimately, choose the method that works best for you, and you’ll have up-to-the-minute weather information at your fingertips.