As iPhones are now becoming an everyday necessity, sorting apps is becoming a crucial task. Whether you’re a student or have a corporate job, finding the right application can save both time and effort. However, with over 2 million apps available on the App Store, managing them without the help of folders can be overwhelming. One of the best ways to organize your apps is by keeping them in separate folders. This blog post will guide you step-by-step on how to create folders for apps on your iPhone.
To create a folder on your iPhone, you’ll need the following:
- An iPhone
- One or more apps installed on your iPhone
- A screen with some free space to place a folder
What Requires Your Focus?
Before you begin creating folders, make sure that you have a clear idea of how you want to organize your apps. Decide on a specific grouping of apps that are frequently used together, so that they are easier to access. You may also want to brainstorm ideas on folders’ name before creating them.
Different Methods to Make Folders For Apps on iPhone
Method 1: Via Drag and Drop
This is one of the easiest methods to create a folder as it requires no additional tools.
1. Choose two or more apps that you want to include in the folder.
2. Press and hold the app icon until it starts to wiggle.
3. Drag one of the app icons on top of the other.
4. A small box will appear around the apps, indicating that a folder is being created.
5. While still holding the app icons, you can tap to name the folder or simply leave the default name.
6. Release the apps.
7. To add more apps to the folder, drag them to the folder’s location.
8. Tap anywhere outside the folder to save it.
- Quick and easy to use
- Doesn’t require additional apps or settings
- Only accommodates up to 15 apps per folder
- Names are limited to one word only
Method 2: Via Settings
If you have many apps set up on the home screen, this method might be appropriate as it allows you to move several apps into one folder at a time. Here are the steps:
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on the General option.
3. Select the option labeled "Reset."
4. Tap on the option labeled "Reset Home Screen Layout."
5. A dialog box will appear, asking whether you want to continue. Tap on "Reset."
6. Once you’ve reset the home screen layout, all apps on your device will return to their default settings, removing any folders or other grouping you may have made.
7. Move 2 or more apps that you wish to add to a folder next to one another on the home screen.
8. Tap and hold the app you want to drag until it starts to move.
9. While still holding the app icon, drag it to the app you want to group it with.
10. The screen will switch to the edit mode, allowing you to create a folder with two or more apps.
11. Tap to name the folder or leave the default name.
12. Press "Done" to save the folder.
- Useful for managing many apps on your home screen
- Might not be useful when dealing with a few apps
Method 3: Via Third-Party Apps
The App Store offers various third-party applications that can help you in organizing your apps. Here’s how to create a folder via third-party apps:
1. Download and install an app that allows you to create folders, such as "Folder Maker" or "MyFolder."
2. Open the app and select the option labeled "Create a folder."
3. Drag and drop any apps you want to include into the folder.
4. Name the folder.
5. Press "Save" to save the folder.
- Offers an unlimited number of apps you can include in a single folder
- Allows for more customization, including backgrounds and icon styles
- Might be more confusing as it adds an extra step in the process of app management
Why Can’t I Make Folders For Apps on iPhone?
Sometimes, users find themselves unable to create folders on their iPhones. Here are some possible reasons and fixes for you:
1. The operating system is outdated.
>>A: Update your operating system by going to "Settings" > "General" > "Software Update."
2. There are too many apps on the home screen.
>>A: Move some apps to a folder or delete some to free up space on the screen.
3. The app(s) you are trying to move can’t be deleted or grouped with others.
>>A: Some Apple apps, such as Safari or Photos, can’t be included in folders or deleted.
Implications and Recommendations
Creating folders for apps on your iPhone can make everyday activities much easier and convenient. Your home screen can be customized to fit your unique needs and daily routine. If you’re looking for a quick and simple way to manage your apps, Method 1 could be the best fit. If you have many apps and prefer something more customizable, Method 3 may be the way to go.
5 FAQs About Making Folders For Apps on iPhone
Q1: Is there a limit to how many folders I can add to my iPhone?
A: No, there’s no explicit limit to the number of folders you can add to your iPhone.
Q2: Can I change the name of a folder that I’ve already created?
A: Yes, you can change the name of your folder at any time. Tap and hold the folder, then tap "Rename."
Q3: Can I create folders for apps that I’ve downloaded from the App Store?
A: Yes, folders can be created for any app installed on your iPhone, including those downloaded from the App Store.
Q4: Can I still use Siri to open apps if they’re in a folder?
A: Yes, Siri can still open any app on your iPhone, whether it’s in a folder or not. Simply use the "Hey Siri" command followed by the name of the app.
Q5: Can folders be created for apps on an iPad?
A: Yes, the process is similar to creating folders for apps on an iPhone and can be done in a similar way.
Creating folders for apps on your iPhone can save you time and reduce your screen clutter. With this comprehensive guide, you should now have a better understanding of how to create folders on your iPhone and which methods are right for you. Experiment with different methods to find the ones that fit your unique needs best.