In this era, we all are obsessed with videos. With the high-speed internet and better camera quality on smartphones, creating and sharing videos have become easier. However, the videos we create aren’t always of the ideal duration and size for sharing over different platforms. That’s why we need to shorten the size of the videos, and in this blog post, we will see how you can do it on your iPhone.
The Challenge of Shortening A Video on An iPhone
Shortening a video is not rocket science, but it can be challenging if you haven’t done it before. We all have been in a situation where we want to share snippets of a long video, but it takes forever to upload, or it won’t upload due to its size. That’s when we need to shorten the video’s duration and size. And with that, the challenge arises: How to shorten a video on an iPhone?
Things You Should Prepare for
Before we dive into the methods of shortening a video on an iPhone, there are a few things you need to prepare for. They are:
- Make sure your iPhone is updated with the latest iOS version
- Make sure you have enough storage space available for the shortened video
- Backup the original video before you start shortening it
Method 1: Using the Photos App
The first method involves using the Photos app. Follow the below steps to shorten a video using the Photos app:
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone
- Select the video you want to shorten
- Tap ‘Edit’ in the top right corner of the screen
- You will see a yellow bar at the bottom of the screen. Drag the yellow bars on either side of the video to select the start and end points of the shortened video
- Tap on ‘Done’ in the bottom right corner of the screen
- Tap on ‘Save video’ to save the shortened video to your iPhone
- Easy to use
- No additional app required
- Video trimming is the only function available in the Photos app. You cannot perform advanced video editing
Method 2: Using iMovie
The next method involves using iMovie, which is a video editing app developed by Apple. Follow the below steps to shorten a video using iMovie:
- Download and install the iMovie app from the App Store
- Open iMovie and tap on the ‘+’ icon to create a new project
- Select ‘Movie’ as the project type and select the video you want to shorten from your photo library
- Drag the video clip to the timeline at the bottom of the screen
- Tap on the clip to select it and then tap on the scissor icon to trim the video
- Use the yellow bars on either side of the clip to select the start and end points of the shortened video
- Tap on ‘Done’ in the top left corner of the screen
- Tap on the share icon in the bottom left corner of the screen to save the shortened video to your iPhone
- Advanced video editing features available
- Video stabilization and audio editing features available
- App can be confusing for beginners
- Not all features are free, and you may need to purchase a subscription to unlock them
Method 3: Using a Third-Party App
The third method involves using a third-party app. There are several apps available on the App Store that allow you to easily shorten a video on your iPhone. Follow the below steps to shorten a video using a third-party app:
- Download and install a third-party app from the App Store, like Video Compressor
- Open the app and select the video you want to shorten from your photo library
- Select the desired video output resolution and quality
- Use the sliders to set the start and end points of the shortened video
- Tap on ‘Compress’ to generate the shortened video
- Select the destination folder to save the shortened video on your iPhone
- Various compression and output options
- Easy to use; requires no technical skill
- May reduce video quality while compressing
- Requires downloading and installing an additional app
Why Can’t I Shorten A Video on my iPhone?
There could be several reasons why you cannot shorten a video on your iPhone. Some of them are listed below along with their fixes:
Q1: Why does the trimmed video not save?
A: If you are experiencing difficulties saving the trimmed video, it could be due to low storage space on your iPhone. Try freeing up some storage space and try again.
Q2: Why does the video take too long to upload?
A: Uploading a large video can take a long time, especially if you have a slow internet connection. It’s recommended to shorten the video’s duration and size before uploading to make it faster.
Q3: Why can’t I access the trimming feature in the Photos app?
A: If the trimming feature is not available in the Photos app, it could be due to an outdated iOS version. Try updating your iPhone’s software to the latest iOS version.
Q4: Why does the iMovie app crash while shortening a video?
A: If the iMovie app crashes while shortening a video, try force-quitting the app and restarting it. Check if the software is updated to the latest version.
- Before trimming the video, plan and decide which parts of the video you want to shorten
- Always back up the original video before trimming in case the shortened video isn’t satisfactory
- Remember to save the shortened video to a different folder than the original video to avoid confusion later
5 FAQs about Shortening A Video on An iPhone
Q1: Can I shorten a video without trimming it using iMovie?
A: No, you need to trim the video to shorten it using the iMovie app.
Q2: Do third-party apps affect video quality while shortening a video?
A: Yes, using a third-party app to shorten a video can reduce its quality. However, most third-party apps offer various output quality options to choose from.
Q3: Is it necessary to update my iPhone’s software before trimming a video?
A: No, it’s not necessary, but updating your iPhone’s software to the latest iOS version can fix any software-related issues you might be facing.
Q4: Can I use the same app to both trim and compress the video?
A: Yes, most third-party apps available on the App Store offer both trimming and compression features.
Q5: How long should the shortened video be?
A: The duration of the shortened video depends on the platform you’re uploading or sharing it on. Check the platform’s guidelines to know the optimal video duration.
Shortening a video on an iPhone is not a challenging task, but it does require proper knowledge and tools. In this blog post, we discussed three methods of shortening a video: using the Photos app, using iMovie, and using a third-party app. Make sure to back up your original video and select the right output quality before shortening. We hope this blog post helps you in shortening your videos and sharing them with ease.